Thursday, August 16, 2007

Gastric Banding Surgery Date Finalized!

I've been in preparation for weight loss surgery for more than a year now; following the process of going to my G.P., going to the Dutch Obesity Clinic, getting insurance approval and then going through a group presentation and pre-operative screening. I could have had the surgery already before the wedding, but decided I would much rather enjoy the wedding without being in recovery from the surgery. So this week I went back and had the final consultation with the anesthesiologist and got the final go-ahead for surgery the week of 24 September. I'll get a call the week ahead of time with an exact date. Exciting and scary!

For anyone who doesn't know what adjustable gastric banding is, check out the Wikipedia article on the topic for a good view of what I'll be facing.

I've essentially gotten to the point now where I can survive going to work everyday and minor outings - and even business trips if pressed to - but that it just plain hurts to do any other physical activity because of my weight. My knees are OK, but my hips and my back give me a lot of trouble. And I can't imagine going into my 40's feeling like this... it's just completely unacceptable to me. So I'm going to do something about it, and to tell the truth, I can't wait. As a matter of fact, I've already started altering my eating patterns in preparation for the surgery.

I should lose 2-4 kgs. per month, so next year this time I could be significantly slimmer, and another year after that, I could be pretty close to my goal. which is around 120 kgs., though we'll have to see what I'm looking like closer to the time. I'll have lots of help along the way... not just supportive husband and friends, but a whole team of experts from the Nederlandse Obesitas Kliniek (NOK) in Hilversum, where I'll be getting physical therapy, group therapy, a nutritionist's advice and other aftercare. 

So I'm scared, excited, can't wait, anxious, hopeful, and ready. Wish me luck! It's time to change my life for the better... and for good.

No comments: