Thursday, November 20, 2008

40th Birthday in the U.S.!

I left Holland on vacation on Tuesday, and flew to D.C. on United. I used an award ticket so it was really cheap, and consciously chose economy in order to experience what it's like in my "new body". And it was fantastic, effortless and comfortable! A major victory. It helped that the plane was nearly empty, but I was just fine - even in an exit row with fixed armrests. Yeah!

I got to D.C. and spent the evening with dear friend Gail and her partner, Alex. We caught up, went out to dinner (Gail's birthday treat, thank you!), and turned in early, because I had to be up the next morning for a 6 a.m. flight.

Turned 40 on a flight between D.C. and Chicago, and spent the time feeling grateful for my 30's and how much they've brought me and how much I've experienced, for all the positive changes that have recently taken place in my life, and for the family and my wonderful husband. No regrets. A good way to feel.

Arrived in Des Moines, quickly unpacked and headed to the gym for a personal training session (yes, on vacation too!). My sister gave me a series of them for my birthday so I could stay fit while on holiday. Thanks, hon! Was a good workout - 1 hour, which is twice as long as I usually do. Will do three more before I leave!

After a nap, went out for Italian with Mom & Dad for the official birthday dinner. Had pizza for the first time in a year - but only because it was super thin-crust, no cheese, and with vegetable and chicken! Delicious, and Mom & Dad were wonderful company.

So all in all, it was a great, relaxed birthday! And no, I don't feel any older. :-) As a matter of fact, I keep feeling younger every month. :-)

I look forward to seeing friends and more family the rest of this week and next. Feels good to be home! Just sorry that Wilbert couldn't join me. Would have been much more fun!

No comments: