Friday, April 08, 2005

John Paul II - "Gay Marriage Evil"


In case you wonder why it is that I can't get all too excited about the pope's death, see this clip from a recently published magazine...

The man obviously did a lot of good in the world to incite as much love as the world is expressing right now. But not being Catholic, poor, Polish, African or South American, there's not much reason for me to respect him considering statements like the one above. For him to say that my relationship with my partner is any less deserving of respect and recognition by the government or the church (which I realize are two different questions entirely) is patently rediculous. Where is the respect for life here? Where is compassion for others? Where is "The greatest of these [commandments] is love"? Instead he's declaring war on me and my kind by actively using the power of the church to influence government policy making. What ever happened to the separation of church and state (in the U.S. at least)? Welcome to the newly founded Theocratic States of America, in so small measure with help from His Holiness.

So I mourn the passing of the pope as a human being who did some good and some evil in the world. Pretty much like any other human being, I guess. I'll work on trying to show more acceptance and compassion for him than he showed for me. But it's proving hard.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Many Christian fundamentalists despise Catholics so I really cannot see your reasoning behind accusing him of helping to create the 'Theocratic States of America'.

And, in case you haven't noticed,you've only had *one* Catholic president - JFK.

'rie (UK)

Christo said...

I understand your point, but the U.S. fundamentalists (in my mind likely far "worse" by my definition than Catholics when it comes to uncompassionate behavior) will take any ammunition they can get to prove their point and justify their holier-than-thou attitudes. And I'm afraid the pope gave them all they could ever hope for from a very respectable source