Sunday, April 10, 2005

Lifetime Travelog

I've been blessed through my current job with the opportunity to see a lot of the world. But I am far from finished! Below is a running list of the countries and cities I have visited so far in my lifetime (mostly in the last three years, if you can believe it!).

Australia

Sydney*

Austria

Salzburg, Vienna, Melk, Halstatt

Belgium

Brussels*

Bulgaria

Sofia

Canada

Winnipeg, Atikokan**, Toronto, London

China

Beijing**, Shanghai, Kunming, Urumqi

Denmark

Copenhagen, Horsens, Billund

England

London**, Colchester

France

Paris*, Marseilles, Bayonne, Biarritz, St. Jean de Luz, St. Jean de Pied de Port, Hendaye

Germany

Cologne*, Düsseldorf, Idar-Oberstein

Greece

Athens*, Hydra

Hungary

Budapest

Ireland

Dublin

Italy

Rome, Milan*, Baveno (Lago Maggiore), Turin

Japan

Sapporo*, Jozankei, Otaru

Korea

Seoul

Mexico

Tiajuana, Merida*, Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Progreso

Netherlands

Amsterdam***, Hoofddorp***, Purmerend***, Hoorn***, Hilversum**

Poland

Zielona Gora

Portugal

Faro (Algarve)

Russian Federation

Moscow

South Africa

Johannesburg*, Sun City, Hermanus

Spain

Madrid*, Segovia, Avila, Toledo, Barcelona, Figueras, Marbella, San Sebastian***, Bilbao, Vitoria, Lazcano**, Irun, Hondarribia** (and dozens of other smaller Basque towns and villages in my one year of living there)

United States

Arizona**, California**, Colorado*, Conneticut, Washington D.C.**, Florida*, Georgia*, Hawaii*, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa***, Maryland*, Massachusetts*, Michigan, Minnesota**, Missouri**, Nebraska, Nevada**, New Jersey, New York*, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia***, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Lived, worked, holidayed or studied for cumulatively:
* = One week or more **=One month or more ***=One year or more

1 comment:

Christo said...

Hey Martin! Thanks for dropping me a line. Love traveling and am blessed with a great job that lets me do that. Travel mostly for work, but know how to tack a little fun onto the beginning or end of each trip.

How long have you been learning Dutch? How is it going? I started intensively the day I arrived (8 years ago) and made sure to get it done and dusted quickly.

Spanish because it was either Spanish or French in Jr. High and felt like Spanish was more practical (and I knew the French teacher personally - my godmother's sister) and didn't want her either playing favorites or dogging me extra hard because of it). Japanese because it was exotic and different and I was bored with Spanish after five years. German to learn about case structures to prepare to learn Basque, which is grammatically the most fascinating language on the planet (wanted to study someplace that was bilingual Spanish/???, and San Sebastian seemed a great place to do it). Dutch because I moved here on a consulting job, French because it was close to Spanish and not too hard, Persian because of a relationship, Chinese because of frequent travel to Beijing, etc. etc. etc. I just don't like to shy away from a linguistic challenge.

Greetings and thanks for dropping by. En nog veel succes toegewenst met je Nederlands!

Christo