Friday, June 16, 2006

Gadget du jour: Nokia E61


I'm totally impressed! Got this thing two days ago and it's fabulous! Form factor is easy to hold in one hand, it's light but doesn't feel/look cheap.

PC synchronization works well as well. Just a bummer Nokia (predictably) chose for a proprietary cable instead of a USB-B. Motorola and HTC are on the right track there, makes life a lot easier.

As is the case with most mobile phone companies offering BlackBerry Connect, the details around it are all extraordinarily (and unncessarily) mysterious, but some quick Googleation led to a simple solution and I was up and running in minutes.

The phone has the most useful standby screen I have ever seen on any device(even with add-on software!). Most recent Blackberry emails and upcoming appointments give you a view of your day at a glance. The thing is as stable as can be (not a single crash yet!). Love Nokia's choice for putting ALL sound through the Bluetooth headset, so I can listen to my podcasts in boring meetings. :-) The scroll-wheel for SE and BB users is missing, but you can get great one-handed operation with the joystick as well.

Speaker-independent voice dialing is great, but I'm missing a RAZR v3i-like opportunity for choosing WHICH phone number to dial for a contact. Haven't quite figured out yet how the phone makes an assumption as to WHICH number to dial (home, work or mobile). In general I'm quite chuffed with the phone. The price point for retail purchase without a contract was really reasonable for such a powerful device, I though. I'm still curious to see the new SE line (m600i, 990), but in general the E61 is hot stuff!

No comments: