Monday, August 01, 2005

Expatriation


I still sometimes have trouble really imagining the enormity of what it means not to be an American citizen anymore. It also at the same time seems so completely trivial to me. Its really far more emotional than anything that impacts me in the here and now. Being American hasn't meant anything to me from a practical standpoint for the last 8+ years other than having a double tax burden. My life is in Europe, and it was primarily my desire to stabilize that life long-term that lead me to make the decision to become Dutch. But every once in a while, I get that slightly freaked out feeling one gets when you've solidly and consciously closed the door to a particular path in your life, burned the bridges behind you, and know there's no going back. But I've been lucky in life with those kind of decisions, so I assume this decision (which still feels right) will prove correct in the long term as well.

No comments: